History of the Maksymilian Pluta Institute of Applied Optics
History of the Institute starts back in 1948 when the Optics Division of the Institute of Fine Mechanics in Warsaw was founded. This division was a germ for the Central Laboratory of Optics (CLO), established as an independent research laboratory in 1954. In 1955 CLO was officially acknowledged as a government R&D laboratory and since 1962 was located at 18 Kamionkowska Street in Warsaw. In early seventies CLO started to extend its premises putting up a new pavilion and extending grounds by the lot located at 16 Kamionkowska Street. In 1976 Polish Ministry of Industry decided to allocate premises at 18 Markowska Street for the Division of Physical Optics of CLO. In 1983 an experimental workshop was established in CLO and in 1986 workshop pavilion was put up at 16 Kamionkowska Street. Simultaneously CLO extended grounds again and started to put up a new storage building at 5 Kamionkowska Street. In 1990 head of the Physical Optics Division Prof. Maksymilian Pluta was elected for the President of the Polish Chapter of SPIE-The International Society for Optical Engineering and the Chapter’s office was located at CLO. 1991 brings the transformation of the CLO and since then it’s name is changed to Institute of the Applied Optics -INOS. In 1997 INOS started to put up a new laboratory building at 5 Kamionkowska Street. The building was ready in 1998 and in Fall of 1998 the Division of Physical Optics was transferred there from Markowska Street. In 2002 Prof. M. Pluta, the head of Physical Optics Division passed away after a long illnes. To honour him INOS was named in 2013 after Professor Maksymilian Pluta.